Built by the Venetians in 1576-1645. United with the old fort (Fortezza Veccia) with walls. Suffered many disasters and repairs. Houses the Navy and hosts exhibitions.
Sample of fortification art, Byzantine and Venetian era. Built between the 11th and 15th centuries, surrounding the islet to the east of the city. A bridge connects it with the square of Spianada. Inside the fortress were built imposing buildings such as a prison (built in 1786 by the Venetians), barracks, a hospital (built in 1850 by the English) and a church dedicated to Saint George, in the form of an ancient Greek Temple. Also, hosts a music school, a collection of Byzantine icons and mosaics and various workshops.
Public, private and ecclesiastical buildings in a variety of architectural styles, which are preserved in excellent condition, form an open museum. All architectural ensembles or individual buildings with Gothic, Renaissance, Mannerist, Baroque, Neoclassical and Art Nouveau elements are distinguished. The application of Western architectural styles is harmoniously combined with the Greek element, which reveals the high intellectual and cultural level of Corfu’s society in all seasons. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site (2007)
A “Living Museum” housed in the old city, in a neoclassical mansion, with animated spoken human figures, robotic technology, presenting the daily life of 19th century bourgeoisie in Corfu. The museum was awarded the Hellenic Patent Prize in 2013.
Archangel Palace Michael and George – Museum of Asian Art
Neoclassical building of the 19th century used during the British occupation (1814-1864) as the home of the British Chambers and as the offices of the Commission. In 1928 became a museum that hosted a collection of Sino-Japanese art by Gregory Manos, which was quickly expanded by other donations. Today, with 15.000 Eastern objects of art, is the only museum in Greece devoted to Asian art.
Temple dedicated to the Most Holy Theotokos “Kyra Antivouniotissa”. One of the most characteristic ecclesiastical monuments of the city of Corfu, since the 15th century. Offers heirlooms and a large collection of images.
Built in 1960 and houses findings of a rich Corinthian colony that flourished in Corfu in the 6th century B.C.
Located in Paleokastritsa and created in 2008. Bottom touring via boats is available.
One of the most popular villas in Europe. Built in 1890 by Italian architects and is dedicated to Achilles. The building and gardens decorate statues of Achilles and many other statues and busts, such as Muses, the Graces, Apollo Kithadoros and the 13 wise men of antiquity. The palace is decorated with frescoes. During the two world wars was transformed into a hospital and in 1962, after major repair, at Casino. Today, it works as museum.
Spaniada (Central Square)
The largest square in the city. Located opposite the Old Fortress and surrounded by impressive buildings, such as the palace of Archangel Michael and George and Liston, an elongated building with arched arcade from the time of French domination. Built in 1807 by Mathieu Lesseps.
Small island in which at the time of Otto a monastery was built with a church devoted to The Transformation of God.
Mon Repo / Palaeopolis Museum
Three floor luxury mansion of neoclassical style built in 1831 by the English architect Whitmore for Frederic Adam. With the union of the Ionian Islands, it was given to the King of the Greeks, George I, until 1967. Today, it houses the Paleopolis Museum.